An option to make manual drilled tube wells is the so called SHIPO drill.
Advantages compared to hand dug wells
- Is faster
- Can be cheaper in soils where a well needs to be completely lined.
- More water guarantee in dry season since it can drill deep into the aquifer
- Can be done at any time no need to wait for the dry season
- Safer. Hand dug wells may collapse
Disadvantages compared hand digging:
- Requires specific tools
- Does not work in case of boulders or gravel larger than 2 cm
- Requires skilled technicians
- Less storage capacity
- A disadvantage of a borehole (compared to a hand dug well) is that there is no access to the water if the pumps is broken
- SHIPO drill method is used much in Tanzania and trained via, promoted by SHIPO.
- It is a combination of sludging and percussion and can be combined with Jetting.
- It has a heavy lower drill pipe and other drill pipes are of PVC so light weight
- It makes tube wells with casings of 2 to 6 inch diameter and drill to 50 meters deep
- Cost depends on soil type, length of screen and diameter of casing